Shepard Fairey Project
Students will be able to create a piece based on a person or an event using the style based on Shepard Fairey’s work.
2. Composition (Emphasis/layering/texture)
5. Reflection/Artist's Statement
1. Choose an idea for your piece. Base it on a person or event.
2. Find Images of chosen idea.
3. Research and find references of your main idea and for textures in your background. These will be used as texture for your background.
4. Create thumbnails of your composition. Emphasize the most important part of your design and place the supporting images and texture behind and/or around your image. Layer these images if needed.
5. Experiment with block shading your images. Review the silk screening process.
6. Create piece using chosen media.
Block Shading/Posterizing Directions
1. Click and drag your image onto the desktop.
2. Open Photoshop. You may need to open Photoshop from the Launchpad. Open LAUNCHPAD (looks like a rocket) at the bottom. Click and open PHOTOSHOP (PS).
3. Open file in Photoshop by click and dragging image into Photoshop or FILE ->OPEN(select file from Desktop)
4. Crop photo if needed using the Cropping Tool from the toolbar.
5. Get rid of color by changing to Grayscale:IMAGE -> MODE -> GRAYSCALE. Select DISCARD when box pops up.
6. To Block Shade Image:IMAGE ->ADJUSTMENTS ->POSTERIZE.
7. Change your photo’s brightness if your photo is too dark:IMAGE ->ADJUSTMENTS ->BRIGHTNESS/CONTRAST. You can brighten and add contrast from here. Repeat “Block Shade” step when done.
8. Save image: FILE ->SAVE AS. Put your name for Save As, Desktop for Location, and JPEG as Format. Press SAVE.
More boxes will come up. Don’t change anything, just press OK.
Shepard Fairey: Obey This Film
Shepard Fairey Examples
How to Silkscreen