Practice Negative Space Washes
Requirements (What you're graded on)
1. Concept (What is your idea and reference?)
2. Composition (How is your space arranged? Are you demonstrating rule-of-thirds, foreshortening, croppings, space, etc.?)
3. Craftsmanship (Correct Materials, medium used with water to edges)
4. Process (Evidence of planning, revision, and/or experimentation)
5. Reflection/Artist's Statement
1. Look at examples.
2. Choose what you'd like to draw from. (Which items are you going to place together?)
3. Using 9" x 12" watercolor paper, lightly draw a line dividing paper into 6" x 9".
4. On the left side of the paper, lightly draw a silhouette of objects with graphite.
4. Clean up edges, then trace using Sketch & Wash pencil.
5. Use brush and water to pull the sketch and wash to the negative space and edges of paper. Add more Sketch & Wash if needed.
6. On the right side, lightly draw a silhouette of different objects in graphite.
7. Clean up edges, then trace using the gel pen.
8. Use brush and water to pull the gel pen to the negative space and edges of paper. You may add more gel pen if needed, but may also ruin your pen.
9. Remember to document your process.
10. Photograph and turn in through your digital portfolio.
Negative Space Examples