Pen & Ink Unit
Pen & Ink Practice Techniques
Student will complete the assignments below in a specific order. First, students will practice how to obtain values through using the most basic ink techniques. The Texture Hand introduces students to implied texture by copying what they see. Finally, students will recreate implied textures of items they would typically see in a landscape by filling in one full page in their sketchbook. If appropriate time is take, this practice will be evident in their Pen & Ink Landscape.
Pen & Ink Landscape (50 pts)
Students will be able to create a landscape drawing demonstrating their knowledge of pen and ink techniques, value, craftsmanship, and scale.
1. Get 5”x7” reference (photo)
2. List items seen in references (rocks, trees, water, bark, etc.)
3. Practice by sketching those items.
4. Place a 1” grid on reference.
5. Get 9” x 12” piece of drawing paper.
6. Create a ¾” border on drawing paper using graphite.
7. Using light graphite lines, create a 1 ½” grid on drawing paper.
8. Create contour lines using very light graphite lines.
9. Fill appropriate space using pen techniques.
1. Concept (Where did reference come from?)
3. Craftsmanship (Implied Texture, Value, clean marks)
5. Artist's Statement/Reflection