Pen & Ink Landscape
Students will be able to create a landscape drawing demonstrating their knowledge of pen and ink techniques, value, craftsmanship, and scale.
1. Get 5”x7” reference (photo)
2. List items seen in references (rocks, trees, water, bark, etc.)
3. Practice by sketching those items.
4. Place a 1” grid on reference.
5. Get 9” x 12” piece of drawing paper.
6. Create a ¾” border on drawing paper using graphite.
7. Using light graphite lines, create a 1 ½” grid on drawing paper.
8. Create contour lines using very light graphite lines.
9. Fill appropriate space using pen techniques.
1. Concept (Where did reference come from?)
2. Composition (Foreground, middle ground, background)
3. Craftsmanship (Implied Texture, Value, clean marks)
4. Process (Evidence of planning and/or practice)
5. Artist's Statement/Reflection
*Student Pen & Ink Landscape examples are found at the bottom of this page.