Palette Knife Painting
Students will be able to create a painting incorporating palette knife techniques, color mixing, and texture.
1. Light & Shadow
3. Texture (use additives and/or techniques to create textures)
4. Voice (original reference)
5. Color Mixing (Optical Mixing)
1. Choose reference
2. Create rough sketch and/or thumbnails
3. Get sketches checked off
4. Get a canvas board
5. Use light lines to create grid on canvas (optional)
6. Create light contour lines using grid (optional)
7. Fill space painting with palette knives using the reference. Remember to mix the colors!
8. Make sure all of the requirements are fulfilled.
* Look at Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Artists to get ideas on style.
* Use additives to thicken paint.
* Use an easel!
* Experiment with different palette knives
Palette Knife Painting Ideas & Examples
Many of the images use an Impressionistic style.