Students will be able to create a portrait using original references, experimentation of materials and techniques, and demonstrate the Principle of Design: Emphasis.
1. Look at examples of many different types of portraits. Try to push where you can take a portrait.
2. Find references
3. Create thumbnails to demonstrate your composition.
4. Get Paper or the surface you choose. Must be at least 12” x 18”…may be larger and can change the dimensions.
5. Experiment with materials. Practice in sketchbook or on other paper before starting.
6. Create your piece.
1. Look at a lot of examples.
2. Use technology to your advantage. Experiment with Photoshop or other photo editing programs to create your reference.
3. You can use apps like Photo Booth or others that can distort or exaggerate your reference.
4. Investigate other artist’s techniques and styles to make them your own.
Examples & Ideas