Practice Charcoal Drawing
The purpose of this assignment is to help students “see” their reference more closely. Through the demonstration of contour lines, values, grid lines, and proportion, students will create a piece representing a photo reference.
1. 1” border
2. No Visible Gridlines (Graphite)
3. No Visible Outlines
4. Demonstrate at Least 5 Values (Black/White + 3 other values)
5. Craftsmanship of Paper
1. Use the 4H pencil for the lighter lines. (Border, Grid, Contour Lines)
2. Place the bigger lines first. Big lines to small lines.
3. Turn paper upside-down along with photo to check for accuracy.
4. Create values going from light to dark.
5. Back away from drawing along with reference to check for accuracy.
6. Draw what you see, not what you know.
7. The more time you put into it, the more you’ll appreciate the piece.
8. Outlines shouldn’t show…use light lines.
9. Do your best!
Process Steps 1-8