Pen & Ink Unit
Pen & Ink Practice Techniques
Student will complete the assignments below in a specific order. First, students will practice how to obtain values through using four of the most basic ink techniques followed by practicing other techniques that could be used in the 30 Techniques Sheet. The Texture Hand introduces students to implied texture by copying what they see. Finally, students will recreate implied textures of items they would typically see in a landscape by filling in one full page in their sketchbook. If appropriate time is take, this practice will be evident in their Pen & Ink Landscape.
1. Value Scale worksheet: Complete worksheet by copying into your sketchbook. Do not write on the worksheet. (10 pts.)
2. 30 Techniques worksheet: Try to recreate all 30 techniques shown on the sheet. Take your time. The techniques should be about half the size of the boxes shown. Do not write on the worksheet. (10 pts.)
3. Texture Hand: Using the worksheet as a reference, outline your hand in your sketchbook. Create a different texture for each finger using line techniques. Do not write on the worksheet. (10 pts.)
4. 1 Page of Implies Textures: Demonstrate implied textures of various things found around you and in nature. Fill up at least 1 pages in your sketchbook. (10 pts.)
Pen & Ink Landscape (50 pts)
Students will be able to create a landscape drawing demonstrating their knowledge of pen and ink techniques, value, craftsmanship, and scale.
1. Get 5”x7” reference (photo)
2. List items seen in references (rocks, trees, water, bark, etc.)
3. Practice by sketching those items.
4. Place a 1” grid on reference.
5. Get 9” x 12” piece of drawing paper.
6. Create a ¾” border on drawing paper using graphite.
7. Using light graphite lines, create a 1 ½” grid on drawing paper.
8. Create contour lines using very light graphite lines.
9. Fill appropriate space using pen techniques.
1. 3/4” Border
2. No Graphite Visible
3. Techniques match Texture (implied Texture)
4. At least 5 Values
5. Craftsmanship of Paper